The vision of START is to reinforce the cooperation between EU and Ukraine in the field of Superhard Materials and its application areas in the various thematic priorities of FP7. Thus, START will support Ukraine’s leading research institute in the field of Superhard Materials, namely V.N. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (ISM), to become a “flagship institute’ in international cooperation.
- analyse ISM’s research competencies, review the scientific and technological developments and examine the EU/Ukraine’s collaboration framework in order to develop ISM’s long-term Research Strategy and position the Institute in the international research arena;
- set up a consultation, assessment and validation mechanism in a collaborative perspective with EU research actors to monitor the implementation on ISM’s Research Strategy;
- organise a variety of training activities adjusted to the Institute’s support needs building ISM’s competencies towards its participation in future FP7 collaborative research activities;
- deploy a set of diversified twinning activities, to significantly increase ISM’s networking level facilitate the exchange of knowledge and good practices and, thus, prepare the ground for setting Joint Research Plans with EU leading research centres;
- support the implementation of joint research activities between ISM and leading EU research centres in the field of Superhard Materials;
- facilitate the exchange of research staff between ISM and EU research centres, enabling them to carry out joint experiments and, thus, setting the foundations for long-term collaboration.
Type of Action: CSA – Coordination and support action
Programme: FP7-INCO – Specific Programme “Capacities”: International co-operation
Topic: INCO.2011-6.1 – Eastern Europe and South Caucasus: Moldova, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan
Financed by: European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 295003
Duration: 1 November 2011 – 31 July 2014